History

History

A Historic Victorian Bed & Breakfast

The oceanfront Addy Sea, located on the corner of Ocean View Parkway & North Atlantic Avenue, is steeped in more than a century of history and legend. With its late – Victorian architecture, classic cedar shingles, and gingerbread trimmings, the Addy Sea has become one of Bethany Beach’s most famous landmark.

John M. Addy, one of Bethany’s original settlers, built the Addy Sea for his family as a summer retreat from Pittsburgh in 1901. Since he was a plumber, the Addy Sea was the first in the area to have indoor plumbing and gaslights. Much of the original fixtures such as the tin ceilings and fireplaces have been restored to their original luster.

The 2nd generation began utilizing the house for room and board at the beginning of  the depression.

In 1974 the 3rd generation approached their neighbor, Leroy T. Gravatte III, whose family had also been coming to Bethany Beach for 3 generations, about selling the property. Leroy decided to buy the Addy Sea and started renovations taking great care to remain true to traditions but adding modern amenities for comfort. In 2016, Jeff and Sherene Gravatte became the 3rd generation innkeepers to tend to this grand old lady by the sea